Monday, April 20, 2009

If I were curator

These were my notes from the mock-up exhibition/review:
1) The blue line of tape was too thick in proportion to the scale of the streetscape. It did not read as an architectural/zoning line.
2)I think there should be more obvious color coding on the board—like color circle or leader lines (possibly in lines of thin tape) to attach the collected data to the street or map location.
3)Photos (i.e historic photos) should be scaled to one uniform size

If I were curator I would take the critics advice and organize each site into TYPE of development – private, partnership, city initiated, organic etc. In doing so, I think the data of each site can be treated uniquely as per the information we have already gathered. I agree with the idea that each site can be portrayed differently. Atlantic Yards for instance may not need a consistent streetscape to define the present context but could benefit from front elevation shots alongside architectural details that hint to existing usages. BAM perhaps can have streetscape images and playbills or theatre literature.

I think the combination of the past and present on the same board is confusing. If the present occupied the main board with the past mounted onto it on .5-inch thick foam core it would help delineate past/present/future periods better.

I think a timeline in a series of rings per year somehow mapped on the floor including all three sites and perhaps branching off toward each exhibition space would be an interesting way of encapsulating everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment