Sunday, March 15, 2009

draft research focus

In an effort to build a chaotic (network) “time map” upon a linear/chronological account of what has and is occurring at the Atlantic Yards, my research will be based on leads I would gather from personal interviews. I would use whatever information collected from these interviews to describe the present context—or the context in which these people live. I would like a chain reaction affect to result, i.e. if someone (a “present” subject) shared a memory about the Hot Bird restaurant (a “past” object), my next research step would be to research the restaurant or its owners and follow through with their personal story or connection to the area. It may lead to a dead end but it would allow me to move onto another person to interview. I think the purpose would be to highlight the social aspect of these areas or the human scale that exists within the city infrastructure. I am primarily interested in the smaller community efforts that activate the present context. The past and present would feed each other with information.

My goal would be to remain transparent or as seemingly unbiased as possible and let the subjectivity of those interviewed come to the foreground.

Plausible questions:

How long have you lived here? How long have you engaged in these spaces? Are you parents from here? Did they engage in these spaces? What is different between your experience and theirs? What has changed in the time that you have been here? What do you imagine this place to be like in 5 years, 10 years? Where will you be? What would you want here?

People I’ve tried/have briefly contacted:

Jerry Campbell – owner of 495 Dean Street

Norman Oder – Atlantic Yards Report

Frank Jump – Fading Ad Blog

Jimmy Greenfield – owner of Soap Box Gallery

Guy Ambrosino – artist exhibited at Soap Box

Tracy Collins – photographer on Flicker

People I’d like to contact:

a) people who tried to landmark the Wards Bakery

b) people who proposed the Prospect Heights Historic District

c) random co-inhabitants of the Atlantic Yards spaces: gas station attendant, auto repair owner

d) Dean Street Block Association

No comments:

Post a Comment